Everyone knows that information is power and anyone who chooses to be ignorant in this modern day and age will pay the price for his or her ignorance. It is certainly not a secret that living life as a gay man or woman in certain parts of the world is hard (even in Western societies), and there are a lot of limitations regarding the legal union of same-sex marriages. It is therefore the duty of a homosexual man or woman to know more about any same-sex marriage amendment, especially if he or she is entertaining plans to marry.
Thankfully, the Internet can help you search for and understand a new marriage amendment that may prevent same-sex marriages. Gay marriage information and marriage related documents could be found when reviewing marriage records. You can do this on your computer and you most certainly do not have to leave your apartment.
You can also search for states that strictly prohibit same-sex unions. Some states such as Michigan and Virginia are known to have amendments that out right ban same-sex marriage, civil unions and other contracts. Some other states simply ban same-sex marriage and civil unions but not other contracts, and a few states ban same-sex marriages but allow civil unions and other contracts.
In the recent past, same-sex relationships were unheard of and people who practiced same-sex relationships did it discreetly. However, as the years go by more people are happy and proud to be gay. Like all other non-traditional practices, gay relationships have been severely criticized and most marriage amendments do not favor the gay community.
Understand the Latest Marriage News and Legislation
If you are homosexual, you need to be aware of the latest marriage news and legislation. You do not want to be ignorant of such issues especially with so much anti-gay marriage protestors and opposing organizations everywhere in the world, and not just in the United States.
Presently, same-sex marriage has been legalized in 6 of the 50 states in the US:
- Marriages for same-sex couples are legal and are presently performed in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa and Vermont.
- On September 11, 2009, same-sex marriages were supposed to commence in Maine, but unfortunately this was not so. A vote for the issue will be on the ballot for the month of November 2009.
- On January 1st, 2010, in the state of New Hampshire, same-sex marriages will commence.
- In the state of California, same-sex marriages were performed from the period between June 16, 2008, and the 4th of November 2008. Although the state no longer performs same-sex marriages, the marriages that were performed during the brief period of same-sex marriage in the state are still legal and recognized.
- In the state of New York and Washington D.C. same-sex marriages performed in other states or foreign countries are recognized but not performed in these two states.
All same-sex marriage amendments have met with tremendous resistance from the mainstream media and political action groups. There have been instances where gay activists have been physically attacked because they so desire to be granted the legal rights to marry their partners and to enjoy the benefits that come with being married. The Internet is the fastest and most convenient way to get information on the latest marriage news and legislations; all you need is a computer and Internet connection. If you do not own a personal computer you can go to a cyber café or the public library.